Monday, October 15, 2007

I Just Don't Understand

We returned from the doctor's office this morning so Gary could get his immunization shot. He weighed in at 15.1 pounds (last month: 14 lbs.), head size is 17-1/4" (last month: 17") and height is 25-5/8" (last month: 25-1/2"). Even though he gained a little, the doctor was still not happy with his growth because he didn't even make the 5 percentile in the growth charts. My question is, (and I should have asked the doctor) is that growth chart for formula-fed babies only? The important thing is that he's growing; albeit slowly, but he's not shrinking.

I used to exclusively breastfeed Gary, but at 6 months, I introduced solid foods (of course, they're pureed) to him in addition to the breast milk. Upon the doctor's orders, I have tried to feed him formula (after eating the solids), but he'll only drink as much as 3 oz. and then he pushes the bottle away. I still nurse Gary at night and I'm waiting for him to go through his growth spurts. I can't tell you how many times I've rolled my eyes at comments like, "Oh, he's so tiny!"

Gary has a healthy appetite, sits up, rolls over, crawls backwards (he can only crawl forward with 2 lunges and then he gives up), pulls himself up and is very alert. Even the doctor says that everything about him is healthy except his growth. Since he weighed 8 lbs., 10 oz. at birth, he should be triple that size when he is a year old. Right now Gary is 10 months old and is only 15 lbs. She wants to see him next month for a weight and height check.

It's not like I'm starving him. I can only put so much in his little mouth until he gags or pushes me away. I would gladly give him some of my weight (hah!). There doesn't appear to be any thyroid problem because his newborn screening turned out fine.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated. I just don't understand. I just want my son to be all right.



No comments:


Funny Demotivators(R) Sample - DESTINY

Funny Demotivators(R) Sample - DESTINY
You were meant for me. Perhaps as a punishment.
Powered By Blogger