Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Valentine Experience

We enjoyed the lovely 70-degree weather on Valentine's Day. I took the children out on a wagon ride (good exercise for mommy, too). I thought my parents might enjoy some photos of the children, so I grabbed my camera. Here's what I had to go through to get a good shot:

Gary shows he is not in the mood for picture-taking. Kari wants to know when he will stop crying.


Gary drinks his milk eagerly and looks as if he's saying, "Don't rush me." Kari looks to say, "Mommy, how long do I have to pose in this wagon?"


Finally! Here is a great Valentine picture of the children which I used to make a homemade Valentine card for Larry. I just got a glimpse of how a professional children's photographer feels. My hat's off to you!

The children enjoyed their wagon ride. We stopped by their Uncle Lee's place and walked by their pond. It was breezy, but very sunny; a wonderful day to be alive. Through proflowers.com, I sent Larry a bouquet of flowers to his workplace yesterday. He received them and said they brightened up his area.

I made a nice Valentine's Dinner: stir-fry garlic shrimp, garlic bread, orange-glazed pork loin chops and chocolate chip ice cream pie with a chocolate rice-krispie crust. I was trying a new recipe with the pork chops. Larry said that they were tender and juicy. He ate every last bite. Then he lovingly told me not to use that recipe again on him. I guess he doesn't care for the citrus flavor on his meat. I'm glad he tells me things like that because if he hadn't, I probably would've made it again and again. He enjoyed everything else on the menu. His favorite, of course, was the ice cream pie.

Side note: I was a bit peeved with UPS; although I paid for 2-day shipping and Larry's Valentine present was supposed to arrive on Wednesday, Feb. 13th, it didn't arrive until Friday, Feb. 15th. I already wrote UPS an intense letter of my disappointment in their service. Instead of delivering the package to my address, they delivered it to a business establishment. I am mystified by this.

After dinner, we presented our Valentine cards to each other. The children enjoyed ripping up their envelopes. They are also fascinated by the heart-shaped mylar balloons around the table. Then Larry presented me with a beautiful diamond heart necklace! The man is spoiling me!

It's not just the jewelry; it's the thought behind giving me the jewelry. He works hard to provide for our family, loves our children to death and is sensitive to our needs. He's building a house for us and he does that after he's finished working for his company for the day. He's not perfect, but he shows our love to us in so many ways and I feel very blessed by that. This paragraph sounds like something I should write for Father's Day, but like so many other days, moments of appreciation shouldn't be devoted to just one day out of the year.

It has been a good week altogether. I don't celebrate my birthDAY. I celebrate my birthMONTH. Looking forward to more celebrating!!

2 comments:

Tamra said...

Happy belated Valentine's Day and Happy even more belated Birthday! Don't worry about the age thing, I think I still have a year or so on you, don't I? I hit 4-0 in November. Of course, Gina and Tricia are still older than me, so I don't mind.

Anyway, I love the wagon pictures. I think the first one is my favorite. Your comments remind me of when Chris and I attempted a formal sitting with Sean when she was about two years old. After a failed attempt (actually I think we got one acceptable picture), we did a second sitting at an outside location, which was much better. It's one of my favorite pictures in which we're both holding her hands and we're looking down at her and she's looking up at one of us. It was in the fall and taken alongside the Colonial Parkway. It was beautiful!

Regarding your gifts, I am very impressed. Every Valentine's Day, Chris and I simply laugh at all the Kay and Zales commercials and know that diamonds will not be a likely gift for us. But that's just fine. I gave him a $5 throw blanket from Wal-Mart and he gave me two "Zits" comic strip compilation books that the whole family will share. (When your kids get older, you'll surely appreciate the humor in these.)

Cheers, Tamra

Mary said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Tamra. I am older than Gina and Tricia (no,not put together), so that makes me so much older than you. (Shhh...don't tell.)

I would love to see that photo of 2-year-old Sean taken with you and Chris. I've always enjoyed Colonial Parkway, especially when it's surrounded by fall foliage.

I must check out this "Zits" comic strip. That's great that you and Chris give each other practical gifts.

I really do appreciate your comments, Tamra. It's nice to know that there's someone out there who laughs (or commiserates) with what I share in my blog.

Thanks for keeping in touch! Hugs to you!


Funny Demotivators(R) Sample - DESTINY

Funny Demotivators(R) Sample - DESTINY
You were meant for me. Perhaps as a punishment.
Powered By Blogger